Saturday, October 17, 2009

Old Assignment- sorry!!

These are my two responses to the 4 Persuaders questions. Sorry it took so long, I wasnt in class that day and have been struggling to find time to watch the film.

Q. 3
This questions hits close to home to me- as did a lot of this aspect of the video. There was two year period where i filled out countless surveys trying to win an ipod, a phone, or a game system (i dont even like game systems- so there is really no excuse for this)- i gave out pretty much every piece of information about myself except my address and social security number. Seeing the data collection agency in The Persuaders really changed my perspective on these quizzes i took. It makes me realize that the information i submit doesnt just sit in some companies computer- it goes into a huge database where almost anyone can access it. This, while frightening by itself, because one hundred times worst when i factor in all of the calls and even texts i get from unknown numbers asking me if id like to get a credit card, buy a car, etc etc. Companies telling me ive won contests that i never entered and phone calls from Nebraska and Missouri are very disconcerning. Having experienced all of that, and having seen the movie- i now know better than to give companies any remotely personal information about myself. unfortunately- at the time when i was finding all those surveys, i didn't know what i knew now.

Q.4
Theres no telling where this path of extreme advertising will take us. A book I read a few years ago called the "Bar Code Tattoo" described a futuristic society in which all of our information is stored in a bar code tattoo that would be scanned when applying for jobs, schools, insurance, loans, etc. and would have all health and credit information (and other information as well). I dont know a lot about science- but if this sortof system is possible, i fear that our society could be heading in this direction- where all of our information- every thing that makes us individuals is tracked in one calling card that we are forced to bring with us wherever we go and forced to present to others if asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment